Sturer Emil – Photo gallery

Here’s the photo gallery of the Sturer Emil, rare and powerful German tank destroyer used during the Second World War in the Eastern Front.

The 20th model I finished is really a big beast! It's a German tank destroyer of the Second World War. I completed it in three months, from May to August 2016. Here's to you the photo gallery of the Sturer Emil!

This kit is the Trumpeter model no. 00350. It has 6 sprues, plus lower and hupper hull and the superstructure in separate pieces. Everything is in light grey polystyrene, except the black vinyl tracks. Moreover, there are a decal sheet, the instruction manual and a painting guide. Details are crisp, especially for the tools in the open top crew compartment, and for the gun mount.

Assembling

The assembling, almost out of the box, has been easy and required no filling. I mounted the superstructure and the gun only at the end, for a better access to the interior of the crew compartment. The only aftermarkets are the gun barrel and the shells, all from RB Model, in turned aluminium and brass.

Notice the size of the 128 mm (5.04 in) gun, a big caliber even for the modern standards, compared with the 40 mm (1.57 in) gun barrel of the Matilda (visible below it).

Comparison between the guns of Sturer Emil (above) and Matilda Mk. II (below, barrel only).

I modified the racks, in order to house the brass shells:

Moreover, once I finished the base painting, I built from scratch the crew compartment floor with balsa wood.

The appearance, after the weathering of the planks, is shown below.

Painting and weathering

After the assembling I painted the model with Vallejo Model Air acrylics, in Panzer Grey (71.052 German Grey, brightened with 71.050 Light Grey and to which I added a drop of blue), everything with the airbrush. For the wash I used the Mig "Blue Wash for Panzer Grey" product, together with oil colors (Van Dyck Brown and Raw Umber).

I weathered the wood planks with very diluted acrylics and oils, in different tones of grey and brown. I painted some scratches with a fine paintbrush, I applied dry pigments and finally I spread a mix of vinyl glue, soil, water and pigments on the tracks and the running gear.

Photo gallery

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.