The 22nd model I completed depicts a German tank destroyer of the Second World War. I built it from September 2016 to July 2017. In this post I'll show you a brief overview of the construction steps, as well as the photo gallery of the finished model of my Nashorn!
You can see all the posts related to this model here.
Assembling and painting
The kit is a Dragon (no. 6165), of very good quality and highly detailed.
In the box we find 9 bags with the sprues and the hull, all in light grey styrene, the instructions (in color) and a decal sheet.
The assembling is straightforward, I didn't encounter big issues. Ejector pin marks are hardly noticeable (except those at the sides of the front hull) and I needed to fill very few seams.
The tracks are single-link type, more laborious to assemble but giving better result. Moreover, I used an aluminium and brass turned barrel by RB Model (model no. 35B81) instead of the original plastic one.
I painted the model with an airbrush, using Vallejo Model Color acrylics. I followed one of the schemas in the instruction sheet. The camouflage consists in a base of dark yellow (Dunkelgelb) with ondulating horizontal strips in brown (Schokoladebraun).
For the weathering, I used oil colors and Mig pigments, working mainly on the lower hull and on the running gear.
While I was taking the pictures for the photo gallery of the Nashorn, I thought that this model alone could not give the idea of its size, so I decided to create a diorama. You will see it in the next post!